Tsukemono: Curry Vinegar Pickles
Recipe by Chef Kaku (Wasan Brooklyn)
- 3 Celery Ribs
- 1 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Mirin
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce (Preferably Koikuchi) *1
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2” x 2” Kombu (Dried Kelp)
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- Cut off the base and leaves of the celery and remove fibrous strings. Wash and cut into desired size.
- Drain celery and place in a plastic container.
In a small pot, heat all of the ingredients except for curry powder over medium heat and bring to boil. Turn off the heat.
- Once not too hot, mix in curry powder.
- Pour the sauce over celery and keep it in the fridge for three days.
- Enjoy! (Pickles last for about 2-3 weeks in the fridge.)
*1 Learn the difference between "koikuchi (dark)" and "usukuchi (light)" soy sauces.