Sweet Potato Mochi
- 1/2 lb Sweet Potatoes
- ½ Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Katakuri Powder (Potato Starch)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mirin
- 1 Tbsp Sake
- 1.5 Tbsp Sugar
- Pinch of Shichimi (Nanami) Togarashi (Red Pepper)
- Peel sweet potatoes and slice them into large chunks.
- Boil plenty of water in a pot and cook the sweet potatoes until they are soft, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes and put them in a medium bowl. Mash them with butter and Katakuri Powder while they are still hot.
- Once mashed, make ping-pong size balls with your hands. Then, press the mochi balls down a little bit so it becomes flatter, like a small cheese wheel.
- Heat frying pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Pan fry the mochi and cook both sides until lightly browned.
- Pour in soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar to caramelize.
- Place mochi on a plate and garnish with a little bit of shichimi togarashi.