Oyako-Don (Chicken and Egg Bowl)
- 2 portions Cooked Rice
- 4 Egg
- 1 Small Chicken Thigh
- ½ Small Onion
- Dash of Scallions for garnish
- Cut chicken thigh into a bite size chunks and thinly slice onions.
- In a medium-large pan, mix in all the ingredients of the sauce. Add chicken & onions and bring to boil over high heat. Skim off excess grease and fat.
- Once boiled, reduce to medium heat and cook 2 more minutes, or until chicken is done.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Slowly and evenly pour 2/3 of beaten eggs over the chicken and onions. Put the lid on and cook for 2 minutes over low heat. Pour in the rest of the eggs, put the lid back on and cook for additional 10 seconds. (You can cook egg longer, but half-cooked eggs are juicy and taste traditional.)
- Place egg & chicken over cooked rice in a bowl. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!
*1 Get the recipe: Dashi
*2 Mirin can be substituted with Sake and Sugar, 4:1 ratio