Nikujaga (Meat & Potatoes)
- ½ lb Yellow Potatoes
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 1 Carrot
- 12 Snap Peas
- ¼ lb Beef Chuck, Short Ribs, or Rib Eye, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Sake
- 2½ cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- Vegetable Oil for cooking
- Remove the fibrous string of the snap peas. Boil water in small pot and quickly boil snap peas with pinch of salt for about 2 minute. Drain.
- Wash potatoes, and cut into quarters. Peel and cut the onions into quarters. Peel and chop the carrots.
- Add vegetable oil into a large pot and fry potatoes with medium to low heat. Add onions and cook until onions are tender.
- Add beef and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Add carrots, water and sake. Bring to boil over high heat. Once boiled, make sure to skim off the scum.
- Reduce the heat to low and add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Place a drop lid and simmer for 5 minutes. If you don’t have a drop lid, make it by aluminum foil and place it directly onto the food. Make sure most of the ingredients are covered by the soup before placing the lid.
After 5 minutes, remove the lid and add 1 more tablespoon of soy sauce. Simmer for additional 10 minutes, or until soup is almost gone.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with snap peas on top and serve!