Think making matcha green tea deserts at home is hard? Think again. It’s so easy to make matcha treats at home that you won’t believe it! You can easily add matcha green tea to so many different dishes, including many of your all time favorite desserts. This recipe will transform your regular British style pound cake into a delicious matcha green tea delight that is bursting with flavor and even has healthy properties. Let’s get started!
What is Matcha Green Tea?
Quite simply, matcha is finely ground green teas leaves in powdered form. It is used to create a hot tea drink and added to food items to impart color, flavor, and other properties. But not all matcha powders are equal. There are many different varieties and quality levels of matcha in traditional Japanese food culture. After all, this is Japan, where tea is an art-form and a way of life.
Matcha is also a health-boosting superfood packed with antioxidants that have many different beneficial effects according to scientific studies scores. From burning off fat cells and therefore fighting obesity to upping the body’s resistance to bacteria and viruses, green tea is a health tonic that may partially explain why the Japanese population enjoys such long lifespans.
We highly recommend using top-quality matcha powder in your home cooking to get the full flavor and all the health benefits. This Uji Organic Matcha is made in the southern part of the Kyoto region from only organic green tea leaves. Certified tea master Masaru Kikuoka selects the leaves for maximum freshness, flavor, and vitality. Utilizing premium matcha powder in your recipes will make a world of difference, try it, and see yourself!
Once you get the hang of cooking with matcha, we have many matcha recipes on our site for you to try out. Here are some of our favorites:
Matcha Green Tea Cookies – White chocolate chips and green tea are a fantastic combo!
Traditional Japanese Matcha Parfait – A Japanese version of the Ice Cream Sundae!
Creamy Matcha Purin – Rich and creamy “pudding” style desert.
- Make sure all the ingredients are room temperature before making.
- Sifting flour, baking powder, and matcha together before cooking makes the texture of the cake smoother. Don’t skip this step!
- You can add red beans, green tea chocolates, white chocolates, etc. to the batter to make your variation of this desert!
Matcha Green Tea Pound Cake
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Butter
- 1&1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Matcha Powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter in a small bowl until creamy
- Put 1/3 of sugar in to the bowl and mix. Repeat until all the sugar is mixed in.
- Break eggs in a separate bowl and lightly mix before adding it to the butter mixture.
- Pour ¼ of beaten eggs into the butter mixture and mix with silicone spatula. Repeat until all the eggs are mixed in.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and matcha powder. Mix until powder dissolves.
- Lightly spray two 8” loaf pans. Pour the batter evenly in both pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, stick a toothpick in the middle and the cake is done if it comes out clean. If not, bake for additional 2-5 minutes.
- Cool it down completely on a cooling rack and enjoy!