Chunky and chewy, this cookie is reminiscent of the classic American chocolate chip cookie but with Japanese flavors! There is nothing better than the combination of white chocolate and matcha green tea, except possibly dark chocolate and matcha green tea, which can be easily substituted. This gooey full flavored cookie is a perfect snack to eat with coffee or tea or can be used as a desert after dinner as well. Use our easy to follow recipe and video to create a batch of this delicious and colorful treat. We guarantee that everyone who tries one will be begging for more!
What is Matcha?
Of the many different kinds of green tea in Japanese food culture, matcha stands in a category all its own. It is not brewed from tea leaves directly like most other types of green tea. Instead, matcha is made by grinding high quality tea leaf into a powder. Then matcha is whisked right into hot water to create a rich, full flavored green tea. Matcha has been found to contain up to ten times the nutrient and antioxidant power of regular green tea, cup for cup! Healthy and great tasting, matcha powder makes a convenient and easy to use ingredient to add to baked goods. The result? A deep green health-boosting treat that tastes good as well!
Can’t get enough of the white chocolate with green tea combo? Check out our green tea white chocolate muffin recipe and video too!
- It is important to mix together all the powder and sift before mixing with other ingredients to make sure dough is evenly mixed.
- Both chocolate and green tea tend to easily burn, so keep an eye on the oven while baking! A short baking time ensures cookies will be chunky, chewy, and delicious.
- If you love chocolate, use dark chocolate instead of white. Dark chocolate is also full of powerful antioxidants that match up well with green tea to produce a healthy Japanese food recipe. Or to really take it to the next level, try using both types of chocolate!
Green Tea & White Chocolate Cookies
- ⅔ cup White Chocolate, chopped
- 7 Tbsp Butter
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Matcha Powder
- Preheat oven to 330F.
- Mix flour, matcha powder, and baking soda together and sift. Set it aside.
- Place butter in a bowl and melt it in a microwave. Add sugar and egg and mix well.
- Mix in the powdered ingredients and mix well with a spatula. Add the chocolate and mix more.
- Line cookie sheet with a baking paper and place the dough. Bake in oven for 6-8 minutes.