Japanese Potato & Beef Stir Fry
- ½ lb Yellow Potatoes
- 2 Yellow Onions
- 1 Carrot
- 12 Snap Peas
- ¼ lb Beef Sirloin, thinly sliced
- 7-8 Sliced Ginger
- ¼ cup Sake
- ½ cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (Usukuch) *1
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce (Koikuchi)
- Vegetable Oil, for cooking
- Wash potatoes, and cut into quarters. Add vegetable oil into pan and fry potatoes with medium to low heat. Fry until all sides are crisp. Set them aside.
- While frying the potatoes, peel and cut the onions into quarters, peel and chop the carrots, and cut the beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the fibrous string of the snap peas. Boil water in small pot and quickly boil snap peas with pinch of salt for about 1 minute. Drain.
- Cook the meat thoroughly in same pan as the potatoes. Add vegetable oil if necessary.
- In a large skillet of sauté pan, mix potatoes, meat, carrots, and ginger. Add a bit of vegetable oil and cook over low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for additional 1 minute.
- Add sake and water to the pan, put a lid on, and let it cook for about 10 min over low heat.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are tender, add usukuchi soy sauce. Cook with the lid on for another 5 minutes.
- Then, add koikuchi soy sauce and cook for additional 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat, add the snap peas on top and let it simmer with the lid on for 10 more minutes.
*1 Learn the difference between "koikuchi (dark)" and "usukuchi (light)" soy sauces.