Japanese Pasta: Bacon and Spinach
- ¾ lb Spaghetti
- 2-3 slices of Bacon
- 1 bunch of Spinach
- 1 pack of Shimeji Mushrooms
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flake
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Cut bacon into 1 inch length. Separate shimeji mushrooms into individual stalks. Mince garlic cloves.
- Wash spinach bunch and cut off the roots. Then, cut spinach into about 1.5 inch length. Separate leaf and stem parts (Don’t throw away the stems!)
- Start cooking spaghetti according to the instruction on the package. Make sure to reserve one cup of the water you used to cook pasta.
- In a large pan, cook garlic and red pepper flake with olive oil on a low heat.
- Once garlic starts smelling delicious, add bacon and continue cooking on low heat.
- Add stems of the spinach and shimeji mushroom. Once cooked, add spinach leaf and stir. Turn off the heat.
- Add drained pasta into the pan. Add one cup of reserved pasta cooking water and soy sauce and mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese.