Japanese Curry Roux
Recipe presented by Jay Andrews
- 3 Tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 4 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Japanese Curry Powder
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom pan on the stove over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the butter.
- Whisk the butter and flour until a smooth paste forms, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cook the roux until it turns a caramelized brown color, about 30 minutes. Whisk in the curry powder until combined.
• Two tablespoons of curry powder creates a moderately spicy roux. Add up to 1 tablespoon more for a spicier flavor.
• Use the roux immediately or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
• Substitute half the Japanese curry powder for an equal amount garam masala for a pleasing variation.
• Add 1 tablespoon per cup of stock/water when making Japanese curry.