When you want something quick and easy to add as a side dish or an appetizer, Japanese aemono salad is a good idea. This Katsuobushi and broccoli salad is a umami-rich way to do this, combining smoked fish flakes with juicy, crisp broccoli to create a healthy Japanese recipe that is simple to make and a pleasure to eat. Use our easy katsuobushi and broccoli recipe to impress family and friends with your knowledge of authentic Japanese cuisine.
What Is Aemono?
In Japanese food culture, aemono refers to both the uncooked sauce used on a salad and the salad itself. Literally, aemono translates to “dressed foods” and is used to describe a wide variety of vegetable and meat dishes that are mixed with a sauce or dressing and served like a salad. In Japanese culture and traditions, people eat aeomono as an appetizer. They sometimes also eat aemono after the meal, as a fresh but flavorful dish that cleanses the palate.
Bonito Flakes and Soy Sauce = Easy Dressing
If you are tired of your everyday dressing like ranch, Italian, or vinaigrette, try making easy Japanese dressing. All you need is bonito flakes (katsuobushi) and soy sauce. You can basically put these two on any dish you want (tofu, salad, seasonal sauteed vegetables/meat, etc). When you add katsuobushi sauce to dishes, even just a bowl of rice, what you get is an instant kick of strong yummy flavor, known as umami, or a rich salad dressing that brings out the taste of the vegetables, like in this recipe.
- This recipe works not only with broccoli, but with other greens such as spinach, green peppers, etc. Just make sure not to overcook vegetables to keep the natural flavor.
- Pour some mayonnaise over the katsuobushi and broccoli salad if you want to add some texture.
- Make an extra portion of katsuobushi salad dressing and try using it on other dishes for a yummy flavor-enhancing sauce.
Easy Katsuobushi and Broccoli Salad
- 1 head Broccoli
- 2 Tbsp Katsuobushi
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Cut broccoli into florets. Cook in boiling water until preferred hardness. Drain.
- Place broccoli florets into a bowl and add seasonings. Mix well.
- Enjoy either warm or cold! Add mayonnaise for a different taste.