As fall turns into winter, the cold weather might bring on seasonal illnesses. A sore throat can be caused by several different things, from an infection to simple dry air. Luckily, Japanese culture offers relief in several different ways, from hot sake to gargling with green tea. One of the most popular (and delicious) forms of sore throat relief is drinking warm and soothing teas. Take care of your throat this winter with one of these three delicious and beneficial Japanese tea recipes!
Our first recipe is for ginger tea, or shoga-yu. Ginger root has incredible benefits when it comes to soothing a sore throat by assisting with congestion and combating inflammation. Better yet, the honey helps to coat and soothe your throat, making this tea a great choice for your winter illness.
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp katakuri powder (potato starch) mixed with 2 tsp water
- Yuzu juice or lemon juice, to taste
- Add the ginger, water and honey to a saucepan. Set the saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Heat the honey and water mixture to just before boiling; you’ll see small bubbles forming around the sides of the pan when ready.
- Mix the katakuri powder with 2 teaspoons of water in a small bowl to make a slurry. Whisk the katakuri powder slurry into the honey and water mixture.
- Continue heating the shoga-yu until slightly thickened, about two minutes, stirring frequently.
Brown Sugar Ginger Tea
Ginger comes to the rescue again in this tasty, sweet tea! The minerals present in molasses will come through the brown sugar for some extra health benefits, and the addition of fresh minced ginger will add a spicy kick that aids against inflammation. Finally, the katakuri powder will add some thickness to the tea, helping it to better coat and protect your sore throat.
- 1 tsp katakuri powder (potato starch)
- Hot water
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- In a small cup, mix katakuri powder and water. Pour into a mug cup.
- Put brown sugar and fresh minced ginger into the mug cup.
- Pour hot water into the mug and mix well.
- Enjoy and beat the cold!
Yuzu and Honey Tea
This simple tea recipe make it easy on you, which is a great benefit when you’re feeling under the weather! It starts with traditional English tea and honey but has an added benefit in the form of yuzu preserves. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit with a pleasant lemon flavor, antimicrobial properties and a healthy dose of vitamin C – just what the doctor ordered!
- A teacup of hot brewed English tea
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp yuzu & honey preserve
- Brew your favorite English tea with boiling water.
- Mix in honey.
- Mix in yuzu & honey preserves.
- If you’d like, add more honey to make it sweeter.
The information contained herein does not claim to cure or prevent diseases or illnesses. It simply helps alleviate some of the symptoms of the common cold. If you think you are suffering from a medical condition see your doctor. Do not self diagnose.