December sixth is National Microwave Oven day! And in honor of this, we wanted to feature three awesome and delicious recipes that you can whip up using only your microwave. This is no longer just the advent of lazy people (but it doesn’t hurt that these recipes are super easy and quick).
1. Asparagus in Miso and Sesame Sauce
For a delicious and easy way to get some green veggies, try this asparagus recipe! It takes a simple Japanese inspired marinade, and asparagus to spruce up one of your favorite spring veggies. Miso is very healthy, and you can even make your own miso paste if you are adventurous!
Asparagus in Miso and Sesame Sauce
- Start by washing and drying the asparagus.
- Then wrap them with saran wrap, place on a plate and microwave for 1 minute.
- Cut the asparagus into 1 inch pieces and toss in a bowl.
Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and stir until all of the asparagus is covered with the marinade.
2. Tofu Eggplant
This simple dish is a great way to get some protein along with your veggies, and still so tasty. You simply combine the eggplant with toppings for some flavoring, mix in the tofu, cook a bit longer, and voila! Instant healthy snack.
- 1 Small Eggplant
- 10 oz Tofu
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Scallion, chopped
- Cut the tofu and the eggplant into small cubes. The tofu cubes should be slightly larger than the eggplant cubes.
- Place eggplant in a microwaveable bowl, cover with saran wrap and microwave for 2 minutes
- Remove bowl from microwave, and add in sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the tofu to the top of the bowl, reseal with saran wrap and microwave for 3 additional minutes.
- Remove bowl from microwave, stir the mixture together until well combined.
- Garnish with scallions and serve!
3. Spinach and Enoki Mushroom
Another delicious and healthy veggie dish that you can make with just the use of your microwave! Spinach and enoki mushrooms are both packed with vitamins and crucial health benefits, and with this simple recipe you can make them with the use of just your microwave!
Spinach and Enoki Mushroom
- 1 bag Spinach
- 4 oz Enoki Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Wash and drain the spinach.
- Wrap spinach in saran wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Cut the stems of the enoki mushrooms, and separate each mushroom.
- Place the mushrooms on a microwaveable plate, cover tightly with saran wrap and microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove the mushrooms from the microwave and cut in half.
- In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, sugar and sesame seeds.
- Add in the spinach and mushrooms to the sauce mixture, stir to combine